Lead Data Scientist - London / Washington DC
London and Washington DC | Closing date
We’re looking for an experienced Lead Data Scientist to join our team in our London or Washington DC office.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ownership and responsibility for delivery of client and internal projects within the Applied Data Science team.
- Leading teams of up to 5 data scientists and data engineers in project delivery.
- Provide oversight and direction to the Applied Data Team.
- Project scoping and post-sales technical support. Foster a spirit of teamwork amongst team members, and demonstrate a workplace culture that aligns with the SCL Group company culture.
- Coach, mentor and develop team members, supporting them in achieving individual goals and objectives.
- Communicate updates regularly with other managers, directors and senior management, and team needs to the Core and Engineering teams.
- Empower team members to take responsibility for their role and individual objectives.
- Regularly communicate and exchange feedback with individual team members, participate in a program of performance review.
- Delegate responsibility and effectively, ensure accountability, and provide regular feedback (both positive and negative).
- Facilitation of knowledge sharing.
- Development of processes and procedures to enhance quality, efficiency and productivity of team.
- Communicate updates regularly with other managers, directors and senior management.
- Disseminate organisation information through department meetings, one-on-one meetings and appropriate emails, IM and regular interpersonal communication.
- Maintain organisation’s expectations for productivity, quality and timeliness.
- Management of early stage recruitment pipeline.
Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge and application of machine learning techniques to real world problems.
- Hands-on programming experience using Python for machine learning with SciPy stack and scikit-learn.
- Applied knowledge of SQL and databases.
- Some knowledge of object-oriented programming paradigms, unit testing, version control and documentation.
- Applying abstract mathematical concepts to noisy real-world data.
- The ability to work effectively with people from a variety of backgrounds.
- Strong knowledge of fundamental statistics and experience applying abstract mathematical concepts to noisy real-world data.
- Ability to balance multiple projects, often with simultaneous and competing deadlines.
- Takes ownership and accountability for tasks.
- Scopes projects for feasibility and provides input to statements of work.
- Effective at communicating to clients the complex methodologies used and the real world impact of results.
- Communicates effectively with technical and non-technical audiences, both verbally and on paper.
Experience with, or a keen desire to gain experience with, big data technologies such as Hadoop and Spark.
- Breadth and depth of applying data science concepts to client projects.
- Experience of applying multiple data science and machine learning techniques to a range of datasets, delivering insight or business value for end customers.
- Experience of leading and managing teams of up to 5 data analysts, data scientist and data engineers.
- Political, B2C or media experience (beneficial).
Master's or PhD level qualification in physics, mathematics, engineering, computer science, or a similarly quantitative field.
Please apply by sending your cover letter and cv to email@example.com